Friday, January 8, 2010

School Closings

Ok I know I dont have kids, yet, but I have to share my opinion.
I remember growing up and you hear all the parents and grandparents saying "when I was a kid I walked two miles up hill in the snow to and from school". And remember thinking that they are crazy, and just making stuff up because they would never have to do something like that.
Well luckily I never had it rough at the bus stops, but still living in Missouri it did get cold. Hardly ever did we have school cancelled for snow or ice. And NEVER did we have school cancelled because it was too cold. 
All I have to say is what is happening to our society? I am not saying that its not cold outside, because it is, but there are several northern states that are colder than Oklahoma that kids still are waiting at bus stops and going to school, so why is Oklahoma any different? Yes its cold outside, but I remember as a kid I didn't think it was as cold as my parents did, because you are a kid so it wouldn't bother kids as much as adults, but really at this rate there have been so many reasons why schools have been closed that kids should be in school till atleast July. But that wouldn't happen either because they will cancel school because it is too hot. I do understand that some of the public schools around here dont have air conditioning so it would be a little hot, but they also have to think that not being in school there are a lot of kids that live in houses that dont have air conditioning.
Maybe when my kids get to school age I will change my mind, but for now I think its CRAZY to cancel school because its too cold, kids need to toughen up, we cant shelter our kids for the rest of their lives. When it comes to college they dont cancel school b/c its too cold, they are expected to go, but if they never had to go outside when it was 2 degrees then they wont know what to do.  Plus half the kids on days out of school they go outside and play anyway.
Ok I am done venting.... I just hate to sound like "an old person" but kids these days are getting too soft.

No comments:

Post a Comment